Calling all Wendover Hospital babies

Published on: 04 Feb 2015

old wend over hospital

WERE you born at Wendover Maternity Hospital in Downend? If so, the new owners would love to hear from you.

They are looking for people willing to share photos and memories of the hospital, which closed in the early 1980s.

Things are coming full circle for the Grade 11 listed building, which is set to be filled with babies and young children again when it becomes the second Red Bus Nursery.

Conversion work is well under way and owner Liz Hogarth expects to welcome the first infants in May. She opened her first Red Bus Nursery in a former pub in Coombe Dingle in 2011.

You can contact Red Bus via their website. If you have memories of Wendover, why not also write or email Downend Voice too?

Comments (14)

1. Julie Gould:
    Feb 17, 2015 at 01:14 PM

I was born at wendover in 1966 fill free to contact me if you would like to talk to me.

2. sue haskins:
    Feb 17, 2015 at 01:31 PM

Yes I was born in Wendover in 1951 and so was my sister in 1955.

3. Mark Milton:
    Feb 18, 2015 at 04:43 PM

I was born at Wendover 27th December 1963, I now live in Edmonton, Alberta. Feel free to contact me. Mark

4. Ray Davies:
    Aug 25, 2015 at 06:16 AM

Hello
    Our 2 daughters were born in Wendover in 1977 & 1983. We have fond memories of this hospital. Our youngest daughter Lydia is now expecting a baby of her own in November. My wife and I will be visiting Bristol in September and will to call in and see you.

5. Chris Tuttiett:
    Sep 22, 2015 at 02:48 PM

I was born in Wendover October 1956

6. Mrs Cheryl c heffer:
    Oct 20, 2015 at 09:01 PM

I was born in this place in 1946 i think it was a private place then after the war??

7. Rennie Dickins:
    Nov 24, 2015 at 12:22 AM

I was born there in December 1954 and have been so pleased to be a Gloucestershire boy ever since - albeit only by about 10 yards !!
    I think Sandra Phillips was born in the next bed. Are you there Sandra ? I am happy to be contacted.

8. Sue:
    Dec 23, 2015 at 01:02 AM

I was born there in June 1960 and my sister the very same day in 1963! We both live in Australia now, I am having a hot Christmas in December! I can't believe I found this, for some reason I just decided to do a Google search for wendover- spooky!

9. Daryl young:
    Jan 26, 2016 at 07:27 PM

I was born at wend over in Feb 1954,and both my sons were born there in 1978 and 1983.when my youngest son was born I was the only patient there,I had a lovely time

10. Chris slade:
    Feb 07, 2016 at 08:46 PM

My youngest sister and I were born there, me 1963 and my sister 1974 (I think). My sister was featured in local press as she was born on Christmas Day. I believe my parents still have the photo. Contact me if you would like more info.

11. Sue neaves:
    Jun 05, 2016 at 08:30 PM

Both my children were born there 1972 1977 always remembered a very kind tea lady called Mrs green who lived in hillfields estate.

12. Chris Marshall:
    Jun 18, 2016 at 05:19 PM

I was born in Wendover in Jan 1950, but I was too young to remember it and my mother has been deceased for 20 years so can't help you with memories!

13. Kathryn stallard:
    Jun 19, 2016 at 06:23 AM

I was born at wendover maternity hospital on the 12th of December 1968 xx

14. Kaye Freathy:
    Jul 21, 2016 at 01:47 PM

My son,David was born here,July 22nd 1966. Alas he is no longer with us due to Diabetes complications.However I do remember my 10 days with you with great affection!! Most of the new Mums watched England beat Germany in the World Cup, needless to say our husbands were elsewhere watching the match!!
    How things have changed---- I can remembers sharing the bathroom with other Mums,some sitting on the toilet having a cigarette,others having a bath while discussing various aspects of what we had gone through!! Happy days! My other two children I had at home under the wonderful care of Sister Singleton,a lovely,caring midwife.

Add a new comment:* (Allowed tags: <b><i><br>)

*Mandatory fields