Changing times for Dings rugby
Published on: 30 May 2017
AN EXHIBITION chronicles the life of one of the oldest rugby clubs in Bristol as it prepares to embark upon a new period in its history.
Dings Crusaders Rugby Football Club was established some 120 years ago, with its roots in the Dings - a working class area between Barton Hill and Temple Meads.
The Shaftesbury Crusade, a Christian mission in the area, encouraged sporting activity in the Dings. In 1897 HW Rudge founded Dings Crusaders as part of the Dings Boys Club. In 1948 the club moved to a new ground in Landseer Avenue, Lockleaze.
In 2014 it was decided to move again, this time to Frenchay. A 26-acre site was available in Frenchay Park Road, opposite the old Frenchay Hospital, and the sale of the land in Lockleaze for housing paid for a new clubhouse and gymnasium, and two full size pitches, and junior pitches.
The club is entirely amateur, and "we don't play for personal gain" is a poignant line in the club's anthem.
The club has mounted a display in Frenchay Village Museum encompassing their 120-year history, which runs until the end of June.
The museum is located at the junction of Frenchay Park Road and Begbrook Park. It’s open Saturdays and Sundays from 2-5pm and Wednesdays from 1-4pm. Entry is free.