Warning after blaze at flat

Published on: 28 Aug 2013

FIREFIGHTERS have issued a safety warning after a toaster caused a blaze in a flat at an elderly people;s housing complex in Downend.

Crews were called to Badminton Gardens in Beaufort Road on August 15 and two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat and tackled the fire using a CO2 extinguisher. A ventilation fan was used to clear the smoke.

Avon Fire & Rescue said all the occupants of the sheltered accommodation had gathered in their common room and no one was hurt. A spokesman said it was thought the fire started accidentally after a toaster caught fire and the occupant used a wet tea towel to try to put it out.

“Avon Fire & Rescue Service would like to remind people to take care when using electrical items,” the spokesman said.

“Water and electricity do not mix and water should never be used to put out a fire involving electrical equipment. If you do have a fire, don’t try to tackle it yourself. Get out, stay out and call 999.

Comments (0)






Add a new comment:* (Allowed tags: <b><i><br>)

*Mandatory fields