Worried about a neighbour? Avon and Somerset Police give their advice
Published on: 30 Jan 2014
BURGLARIES involving very elderly victims are not common, but the effect they can have on older people’s quality of life mean we take them very seriously.
If you are an older person or have an elderly relative who is worried about home security, you can get help and advice from your neighbourhood team by calling us on 101.
We can also refer you to the police Bobby Van service. The Bobby Van carpenter visits victims of crime and vulnerable people to fit locks, door viewers and other security measures.
South Gloucestershire Council also offers the Handy Van service to people who are over 60 or disabled. The scheme helps with minor household repairs as well as giving free home safety and security checks. You can find out more by calling 01454 868007.
Our advice includes:
• Always lock up, set the alarm and draw the curtains as it gets dark and use timers on lights and radios if you go out
• Keep your cash in the bank or building society
• Don't leave valuables on display in your windows or near doors.
• Lock your jewellery away in a safe that meets Sold Secure standards
• Permanently mark your property with your postcode or for jewellery and other valuables use one of the colourless forensic marking kits which are commercially available. Take photos of anything especially precious to you or unique
• Register things with a serial number for free on www.immobilise.com
• Join Neighbourhood Watch
• If you see anyone acting suspiciously at a neighbour’s property call 999 immediately
• Always use the door chain and ask to see identification when someone calls at your home. Genuine callers will want to show you their id and won’t think you rude for checking
• Join your gas, water and electricity providers’ passwords schemes
• If you are suspicious of an unexpected caller don’t let them in but call us on 101
• If there is access to the back of your home make sure it is fenced and has a lockable 5ft 9in gate
South Gloucestershire Council Trading Standards offers a ‘No Cold Calling Zone’ scheme which deters unsolicited calls – call them on 01454 463012.