First win of the season for Mangos

October 22 2021

THE past month has seen some mixed results for Mangotsfield United, but the main thing was that the club secured their first win (and indeed, points) of the season to lift them off the bottom of the Southern League Division 1 South.
The club’s first point of the season came in a 1-1 away draw at Willand Rovers. The Mangos took an early lead when Wayne Nderemani nipped in between two hesitant home defenders to stroke the ball home. The Mangos defence stood firm throughout the second half, but a very late surge from Willand saw a corner palmed into his own net by Mangos keeper Cameron Pike, deep into stoppage time.  So it was very nearly all 3 points, but in the end the Mangos were forced to settle for one.
One week later, the Mangos went down 2-0 away to Wiltshire-based Highworth Town in a disappointing defeat, but even then it went to the wire, just like Willand the week before. Highworth had taken a seventh-minute lead through Harrison Edwards, but the Mangos stayed in the game until deep into added time when, for the second week running, they conceded a late goal and Highworth were able to wrap up their victory.
Next up was a 5-0 home defeat against Hampshire outfit AFC Totton, who lived up to their 2nd place league position on a wet night at Cossham Street amid the petrol crisis, which saw a number of other long-distance games cancelled. The Mangos competed well early on but a hat-trick by Brett Williams and another goal from Jack Hoey saw Totton lead 4-0 by the break, and it was all about damage limitation after that, with Totton bagging a fifth goal near the end through Lewis Waterfield.
The elusive first league win of the season for the Mangos finally came on October 3, when Cinderford Town went down 3-1 at Cossham Street. The home team made a great start & were 2-0 ahead by 19 minutes thanks to goals by Andre Freckleton and Wayne Nderemani, but although Harry Emmett pulled one back before half time, the Mangos stood firm after the break.  Owen Humphries made it 3-1 with eight minutes to go, wrapping up that much-needed first league win.
The less said about the next game – a 6-0 home Southern League Cup defeat to Melksham Town - the better, as the Mangos ended the match with just nine men, following two red cards.
The Mangos then returned to Willand Rovers, this time in the FA Trophy, and once again, the hosts bagged a stoppage time goal to spoil the Mangos’ party, despite Joe Cattermole giving the Mangos the lead in the first half.
Dave Smale


Oct 23 Melksham Town 3pm      Home
Oct 30 Lymington Town
3pm Away
Nov 6 Paulton Rovers 3pm          Home
Nov 9 Bristol Manor Farm   7.45pm Away     (Gloucestershire FA Trophy)                            
Nov 13 Bideford 3pm               Home
Nov 16 Evesham United     7.45pm Home