John is now back in the picture after fire

June 30 2015

A PHOTOGRAPHER whose shop in Downend was destroyed by a fire has now found a temporary home.

A PHOTOGRAPHER whose shop in Downend was destroyed by a fire has now found a temporary home.
John Hancock, of John Hancock Photography, was preparing to celebrate 10 years of being based in the area when an electrical fault caused a fire at the premises in Downend Road.
The blaze started in a Unison office above and although firefighters were able to put it out before it reached John’s studio, extensive damage was caused by smoke and water.
Luckily clients’ photographs were safe as John stores his finished work elsewhere but it meant he has been unable to work since the fire on April 14.
But now John has managed to rent space at Frenchay Village Hall where he will set up a temporary studio until building work at his shop is completed.
John, 45, said it is great to be up and running again, albeit not at his original base.
“I’m using Frenchay Village Hall on Saturday mornings and all day Fridays but I’m looking for another base to do a bit more.
“The people who run the village hall were lovely, absolutely brilliant. It’s also great that we are close to where we were before.”
John was able to fulfil his wedding photography bookings but family, baby and pet portraiture had been affected by the fire.
He said: “I’ve had clients call following the fire and I haven’t been able to do anything but to move forward now is just great.
“Until I get other venues I won’t be able to do as much work as I was doing before but at least it means I can carry on. It’s taken a long time to sort everything out like the insurance but I’m now getting there.”
John said work is likely to take a few months.
“It looks like the ceilings have got to come down because of the damage and the whole front of the shop gutted and rebuilt so it will be a couple of months before I move back in.
“Ideally I’d be back in the studio welcoming people for Christmas photos at the end of September/early October.”