Places could be cut at primary school

November 22 2021

A MANGOTSFIELD primary school could reduce its intake to a single class of children per year.
South Gloucestershire Council is asking people to comment on plans to reduce the admission number for Barley Close Primary School to a maximum of 30 pupils from 2023.
At present the school has 289 children on its roll, which represents an average of 41 children in each year. Its capacity is 420.
If the proposed change is agreed the maximum number of pupils at the school will reduce to 210 after seven years at the new capacity.
The council says it is proposing to reduce the admission number in consultation with the school's governing body.
A consultation page added to the council website says: "The proposal will bring the admission number more closely in line with recent and anticipated admissions to the school and will apply to new applications received for first admission to the Reception class in September 2023.
"No other alterations to the admission arrangements at the school are proposed and children currently attending the school will remain on roll."
A spokesperson for the school and council said: “The proposal currently being consulted on, if implemented, will enable the school to have a more consistent form of entry and intake.
"It will also support the school in having greater control over resources which will help maintain long-term financial sustainability.
“If the proposal is taken forward, the implementation will be very carefully managed to ensure minimal impact on staff, who will be consulted on an ongoing basis.
“Barley Close is a community minded school and we encourage local people to have their say on the consultation."
The number of pupils at the school has risen and fallen over the past 16 years, from 205 in 2005 and just 162 in 2008 to 386 in 2017.
At the beginning of last year the school stopped running nursery classes for two to four-year-old children, with independent provider Play Station Nursery taking over provision for pre-school children at the site.
When the decision was taken the nursery had 34 children on its roll, with a capacity of 60.
People are being encouraged to comment on the proposals by emailing charlotte.johnston@southglos.gov.uk or writing to Charlotte Johnston, Admissions and Transport Manager, Education, Learning and Skills, Department for Children, Adults and Health
PO Box 1955, Bristol BS37 0DE.
Responses need to be received by December 17.
More information can be found online at consultations.southglos.gov.uk/Changestoschools/consultationHome.